Rochester Village Hall was founded in September 1931 after the land it occupies was bequeathed to the village by the local landowner David Freeman-Mitford, 2nd Baron Redesdale, among whose children were the writers Nancy and Jessica Mitford. The residents of Rochester formed a committee of Trustees and a 99-year lease was agreed.

In 1978 the Trustees successfully applied for the status of the hall to be changed to a charitable trust, which it remains to this day.

In 2000 Lord Redesdale Estates bequeathed a further piece of land to the rear of the hall, which was then developed into the lawn and garden.

More than 70 years after it was built, the hall underwent its first major refurbishment in 2007, bringing it up to modern standards.

The work included stripping out the internal structure to a bare shell and the installation of new electrical wiring and a plumbing system. An extension was built to house a new toilet block, including a disabled toilet and shower. A modern kitchen was also fitted and the building was completely insulated and made more sustainable by the installation of a ground source heating system.

In 2014 a number of solar panels were fitted, significantly contributing to the sustainability and economic viability of the hall.

Rochester Village Hall is diligently maintained by a small but dedicated team of Trustees, whose aim is to provide a comfortable and well equipped space for a range of events. The Trustees hope to maintain and preserve this community resource for many years to come.

Selections from the Rochester Village Hall Archives can be found here.